Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Positive reinforcement.

The etiquette for "excuse me," "thank you," and "you're welcome" is changing every day. When I was younger, I was always taught to do three things: a. hold the door open for someone if they are walking in and/or out the same time as you, b. Say thank you to someone who has done or said something to you that made you feel great, and c. If someone feels the need to tell you thank you, you should feel the need to say you're welcome.

Do you ever hold the door open for someone with their hands full only for them to walk right past you without even making eye contact as if they are totally oblivious to your selfless gesture? My favorite is when someone bumps into me and says "excuse me" in that snide tone like you know they think you bumped into them.

Am I just totally prone to these situations? It makes me want to stop this endless process of common courtesy. I know I am not the only dude in this world that still exercises the simple and primitive practice of common courtesy but can't help but wonder if I am somehow going to be the last. Why be nice for no reason anymore when people every day are not? Should I consider myself fortunate to act like this?

I do these things because it makes me feel awesome as a person. I know I can and I know I probably will keep doing the same. It doesn't bother me now that I've typed all of it out and see how futile it is.

In other news, I am surprised to see how many bands that I like are Christian-based. Relient K is one band that I've been listening to for about seven years that are faith-based. I knew that they were Christian since I first started listening to them but that doesn't and never did bother me. I am not a Christian and am not remotely compelled to start following similar Christ-based faiths resulting in buying their albums and going to their shows. I appreciated them for their upbeat and often tongue-in-cheek songs and lyrics.

I suppose I am not as easily gullible as some kids these days but can honestly say that I've grown a new appreciation for Christian hardcore and alternative bands these days. Knowing that your band and its faith are going to receive scrutiny and criticism but playing your music anyway is totally courageous. Playing Christian rock and playing political rock are totally similar. You're putting you beliefs out there and constantly singing against stuff. Whether it be preaching against sinning or the U.S. president 's dirty politics (which are not a far leap from each other) fans and critics alike are always asking why you believe what you do and trying to find reasons that you are wrong.

This world's filled with fucking critics.

John

No comments: