Monday, February 4, 2008

There was one for every day,

Posting blogs just seems so much more fruitful than copying and pasting stuff into bulletin fields on MySpace.

Last night, I could not go to sleep. Not only was (and still am) sick with a cough and running nose, but thinking about someone breaking into my house and killing me was enough to make me double-lock the back door and check all the window's locks. I still can't believe Nancy Miller is gone.

After being awake for 30+ hours, one tends to be particularly irritable, paranoid and suffer from the plague of having 'visions' and 'revelations' about life and death. This morning, I got to class, only to venture down to the newspaper five minutes after my arrival and talk to Kristy about Nancy. We reminisced about the short-lived but absolutely rewarding times that our newspaper had with her; her charm that was contagious and well-needed after Kathe's retirement always had a place on Wednesday afternoons in the particularly chaotic atmosphere of The Scene. It was well-needed and it's the only thing today that made me smile (besides my World Wide Web I class.. details on that are further down.. keep reading.)

I have never had to deal with death. No one in my family dies. The last person to pass in my family was my uncle Mike in 1999, and I didn't know him that well. Just going to funeral services and wakes makes me absolutely anti-death. I've since then convinced myself that I don't want/need to become elderly and/or die. I have a complex and it's consumed my whole perception of my friends and family's own mortality. I started a club in my no-death delusions called the "I'm Never Gonna Die Club" and is open to new members. The only requirement: you should believe in its entirety that you're never going to die. That's it.

E-vannn Ri-chaaaards is my instructor for World Wide Web I class and her teaching style consists of her turning on the screen projector, talking fast about things that appear Greek to us, and handing out Xeroxed work sheets to guide ourselves through. I have been experimenting with online layout and HTML now since about 2000 and am somewhat proficient. I know the basics and am frightened at entertaining the fact that I might just possibly know a little more than the teacher who gets paid to show the class basic HTML codes that are rarely used anymore on the Internet. I fail to understand why we are learning basic HTML mark-up codes just to discover that will all be eliminated and replaced with CSS scripts in the next class (which is what her WWWII class is learning now.)

Amy and I had quite a go with HTML codes copied and pasted from Funky-Chickens.com. I anticipate the moment that E-vannn asks us how we did that. She told us that we were getting too far ahead of ourselves. How is that possible when I taught Amy how to insert an image and change her font color instead of staring at a piece of paper for three hours and talking to ourselves? Tiffany missed out.

Amy made her site about fire breathing, bananas and Betty White. I made mine about fat goth kids. My website's URL is this link. Check it, son!

John

1 comment:

Amy, Jeff and the kimchis said...

Oh John, you totally rule. You are so my WWW guru from this day on so PREPARE! Or Betty White'll getcha!

I hope you feel better soon. We miss you. Jimmy P misses you, too.